These photos have been waiting in the draft box since last summer, and I thought today is finally perfect day to share these, as tomorrow I am heading to Tallinn. It has been way too long time since I have been there, and I am SO exited to see my grandmother after a long time. I absolutely love traveling and will definitely also take every opportunity there is to live abroad, but it is always hard to be far from your loved ones. Especially grandparents, as they are not anymore able to travel, so they cannot visit you when you are living far.
With these photos I am taking you back to sunny day in Tallinn last summer. Tallinn is like a home for me, and even I have been there so many times, I still keep finding places I have not visited before. And that is something that makes the city so interesting – you never get bored there! Last summer I visited Tallinn few times, and the first time in my life I climbing to the tower of St. Olaf`s church where these photos have been taken. The view from 60 meter was breath taking, and will sure visit the tower again one day.
St. Olaf’s church is the biggest medieval structure in Tallinn and I have always been told that in a clear weather you can see all the way to Helsinki from the top. Not so sure it is true, but who knows! The tower is almost 124 m high, but before you can see the amazing view, you need to climb 232 steps. And I can tell you, that tower is old, and not too much space in that tower, so if you have any signs of claustrophobia, this is not your place to be!
This time I will be in Tallinn for three days, and the plan is to have no plans. I am taking camera with me, and I have few ideas where to go exploring, but let´s see. Like said, I have not seen my granny after last summer, so I want to spend time with her. But remember to follow me in Instagram, I´ll be posting to my story!
October is here, how did this happen? Where did September go? I feel like summer has been going on forever and suddenly it is October. The weather in the Netherlands has been so good the past weeks, that I feel like autumn is only now starting. Crazy! It is currently raining here and I am sitting home alone, drinking new tea I bought earlier this week and feeling lazy. Lazy in a way, that I cannot imagine creating something super amazing here today for you to read. Some time a go I was reading a nice 3 things.. -post from the lovely Avec Sofié blog, and thought it would be nice to do the same sometime. So today in my lazy mood I am sharing with you 3 things, with beautiful doors from the old town of Tallinn.
3 things, I like…
- Fresh flowers. I love fresh flowers because it is such a simple way to bring joy into your life. I also think we should give much more flowers to our loved ones.
- My life the way it is now. I have not been so happy in my life in a long time as the past weeks. I have interesting studies going on, I have amazing people around me and I finally feel that I have got over all the less nice things in my life.
- Autumn! I can start to wear scarfs, sweaters, leather jacket, hats and all my leather boots. And I do also like the rainy autumn days when you can just stay in, and listen the rain while drinking hot tea and reading a good book. Ou how I have missed this season!
3 things, I don`t like…
- People who are late. I have been waiting people the past weeks more than ever in my life. I think it is highly disrespectful if you always come late to meetings.
- Milk. I haven`t drink milk in 15 years, and I don`t think I could finish one glass if you would ask me to. I don`t like the taste and to be honest, I don`t think it is healthy at all.
- Feeling sick while traveling. I have to always sit in the front when traveling with a car, as it is the only way I don`t feel sick. And same goes when it comes to bus, only front row to me. Sadly I feel also sick in boat / ferry, so water is not my friend when it comes to traveling.
3 things, I did in the weekend…
- I had the best gin&tonic in a long time. There is a nice gin&tonic place Suikerkist in Breda, and we spend a nice evening with friends there. My gin&tonic was called Double you and had Fever-Tree elder flower tonic and raspberries as well as blueberries in it.
- I cooked pulled pork yesterday, and made burgers from it. It was first time I bought pork here, and I have to say I was little scared of the end result, as the meat was not exactly what I thought I asked. Still need to work the language a little more, hahah!
- Worked one super inspiring, yet challenging, school project a lot. I have a big deadline in few weeks, and the project is taking much more time I thought. Happily I managed to collect good ideas yesterday, so it is easier now to continue.
3 things, I can do…
- Make fire in a fireplace / sauna stove. After living many years in the “countryside” with my family, you have to be able to do this, or you`ll feel cold. Talk about serious survival skills!
- Improvise in the kitchen. This is a skill I feel extremely lucky about, because I know there is a lot people who always need a clear recipe and get lost if changes needs to be done. I just need to have idea and then I can improvise from there. And I have to say, 99 times out of 100 I end up doing a good job in the kitchen without following any recipe.
- Tell my opinions. I think nothing in the world can be changed if people just keep their opinions to themselves. I don`t feel uncomfortable to disagree and speak out, which sometimes may feel arrogant to others. But I think we need to have rich discussions and different opinions.
3 things, I cannot do…
- I cannot sing at all. I have never been able to sing and I don`t think it is something I could ever learn. Sadly!
- Do amazing things with make up, and I really hate this. I am so unintelligent when it comes to lipsticks, contouring and all make up things. I would love to use example lipstick more, just don`t handle the colors and techniques at all.
- Wear colorful clothes. I am black, white & gray kind of person. For me it is extreme if there is any other colors in my clothes, and also many patterns are no no for me. Yesterday I was wearing a new dress which has very neutral toned roses, and I felt totally out of my comfort zone.
3 things, I would like to know how to do…
- Walk smoothly in high heels, because I would love to use high heels more. Especially I would love to use heels more in every day outfits, to give a little more feminine touch.
- Edit videos. I know very little about this, and I would love to learn even a little more. This way I could also do some video projects, as I dream example about cooking videos.
- Amazing macarons. I have tried like million time, and still cannot get it right. I love macarons and I can easily say they are one of my all time favorite pastry.
3 things, I should do…
- Start to think where I want to do my second (and last) internship. For this I should refresh my Cv and LinkedIn, but we all know how much work that is. Also the next internship is more important than the previous one, as I hope it will help me to get a job after.
- Read more everything. Books, articles, magazines, blog, social media and just everything. We have been talking a lot about this at school lately and I feel there is just so much more to learn and know.
- More yoga. I can see already after few days how much it is affecting to me if I skip yoga, so I should give it again more thought.3 things, I am stressing about…
- Finding a job after my graduation next spring. I have little by little started to realize how close my final graduation is, so I have definitely started to stress about jobs. I know it is a lot about your own attitude, but you never know what is the situation when you are done with your studies.
- That this autumn will end before I have managed to do everything I have planned. It is constant struggle between things you have to do and things you want to do. I have a lot school related things going on, but same time I also want to travel and see places. I also don`t want to plan too much ahead everything, so I hope I will not run out of time because of this.
- Not being able to create good enough quality in the school projects I am doing right now. I feel I am expecting a lot from myself but also that the school is expecting a lot. So it is stressing me when there is all this pressure to do something amazing.
3 things, that makes me relax…
- Photo editing. This may sound strange for many, but for me it is super relaxing. Ok, if everything is working smoothly, haha! When I start to edit photos, I totally forget everything around me and focus fully on that. I can do it for hours without getting bored.
- Walking around. I think I can be much more relaxed while doing something rather than only staying in the bed example.
- DIY projects. It is like magic and takes everything else away from mind. I think it is the flow mood I got in when I start to do some new project. And I do miss this here in the Netherlands, as I don`t have so much possibilities to do creative projects. It is not the lack of time but lack of materials. I don`t want to buy a lot things for projects, as I have box after box full of materials back in Finland.
3 things, I like to wear…
- Simple and effortless dresses. And in black of course. Black dresses are the cornerstones of my closet as they fit basically in every situation. At the moment I am missing few new autumn/winter versions, so hunt is on!
- Silver jewelry. I actually have not too many jewelries as I am very picky and use often same small and simple things. I have one favorite watch, few favorite rings and I use almost all the time same earrings. Ou yeah, and now I have a new favorite necklace; old Dutch coin.
- Contrasts. I love example the combination of girly tulle skirt and leather jacket, or leather skirt with soft sweater. When you use only few colors, I feel it is important to play with textures.
3 things, I would`t wear…
- Adidas all star shoes. I just don`t like them at all, like there is absolute nothing nice in those shoes. And yes, everyone is now wearing them, but I just hate those shoes.
- Flared pants. I think this has something do with the fact, that they were popular when I was a child. I remember clearly my first ones, and I did like them back then (like 20 years a go almost, hahah) a lot. But I think I am too short for those now, so they would just look everything but nice.
- Denim shirt / jacket. I like how people combine denim shirts and jackets in their outfits but I cannot imagine wearing them. Especially all denim outfit is something I just don`t understand.
3 things, I would like to get…
- Alexander Wang Rogue, Rocco or Rockie bag. BUT when the price tag has numbers between 900 and 1300 (in euros), I am not getting one of these bags any time soon. Maybe when I get my first “real” job I can spend little money to this crazy bag madness.
- Black leather dress. I have had obsession to this for a long time already, but just haven`t found the perfect one. I did try few last week, but still not the perfect match. I think it would be so nice later in the autumn with my fur coat.
- Vintage fur coat. I know this is something that people have very strong opinions about. I personally don`t support fur industry, but I would love to have vintage fur coat.
3 things, I am dreaming of…
- Traveling to new places. Especially New York and Asia are in my mind. I hope in few years I can travel to these places and see many destinations from my bucket list.
- Running. I have loved running before a lot, but after I was diagnosed with asthma I have been struggling with sports a lot. But I hope little by little I can start to run again and one day run a marathon.
- Having a beautiful home with small garden. I know this is something really big, and not happening in the near future, but I do dream about my own home. Maybe I could do a little inspiration post about this topic later. Dreaming is already half way there right?
3 things, I am scared of…
- Being so far from my loved once as you never know what will happen. I worry example about my grandparents, because they start to be really old. So I am sad I cannot visit them often right now, and if something bad would happen I cannot go to them as fast as I hope.
- Darkness. This is something I have been scared as long as I can remember. When I was a child I remember leaving the lights on when I went to sleep because I was so scared of the darkness. And few years a go while living with my mam in the countryside I had one of those nightlights, haha! I think it is the unknown in darkness making me scared.
- Not being good enough for the things I want to do in life. I have big dreams example about future career goals, but I keep feeling I should be so much better to even apply to those positions. There is in certain things big perfectionist living in me, which makes things difficult, as nothing is good enough. I keep getting good feedback on many things, and still I feel I should do so much better.
3 things, I hope will happen in the near future…
- A lot traveling to the places I have planned to visit. So I think lady A and I have to sit down once again and take the planning to action. Luckily we will have a autumn holiday in the end of this month, so definitely traveling during that week.
- Dinner party or brunch with friends. I have not organized a nice thing to my friends in a long time, so I hope I will find time to do this soon. So girls when are you free, I want to cook for you
- Time, place and equipment for recipe planning, testing and photographing. I miss this a lot, and have so many ideas waiting. I would especially love to test out some traditional Dutch recipes and give that way inspiration to you also.
I would appreciate a lot if you could tell me how you liked this kind of post, with more “personal” things. And hey, enjoy October!
Hi there, if you don`t like flowers I would recommend you to skip this one. I visited the iconic flower street in Tallinn and this post is more than full of colorful pictures from there. I absolutely love flowers and I think I have learn this from my mother, who is absolutely amazing with fresh flowers, plants and gardening. And actually my grandmother is also, so I believe that the love for flowers run in the family.
In Tallinn before entering to the Old town from the gate of Viru street, you can spot the amazing colorful stands stacked with fresh flowers. The small flowers “shops” are open from early morning to the late evening year around. From the flower street you can find everything from classical red roses to the seasons most beautiful flowers and hand made bouquet arrangements. And the prices compered to Finland are cheap!
I have bought from this street flowers to take with me back home, and to bring as a gift when visiting family members in Tallinn. The selection is breath taking and somehow when walking in the flower street it almost feels like time stops and all you see are these beautiful flowers and the amazing (how many time I have used this word already today, haha) colors. I would say that it is worth the visit even if you don`t want to buy flowers, as something this beautiful is never a bad idea.
Sunflowers are in the season, so you can spot these huge yellow beauties from almost every stand in the street. Last I visited the flower street beginning of last month, when example peonies were in season, so of course there were more those then. And like said, the prices are very competitive, as example peonies were around 6€ a piece in Finland, when they were same time in Tallinn 2-4 € piece.
I always think about my grandfather when I see Gladiolus – they were his favorite flowers.
Details about this travel tip
Viru Flower Stands // Viru kukka kojut
Viru Street Gate // Virun portti
Mon – Fri 09:00 – 00:00, Sat – Sun 09:00 – late
Did you get your Friday flowers already?